contraption n : a device that is very useful for a particular job [syn: appliance, contrivance, convenience, gadget, gizmo, gismo, widget]
EtymologyOriginally a Western English dialectical word. Origin unclear. Perhaps from contrive + trap.
Mechanical device of any sort, esp. one that is complicated
Contraption may refer to:
- a contraption; a machine, especially a odd or strange machine
- Contraption, a British electronica band
- Contraption, a German metal band
- Contraption, a game show formerly broadcast on the Disney Channel.
- Circus Contraption, a one-ring circus, vaudeville and dark cabaret troupe based in Seattle, Washington
- Great Ball Contraption, a LEGO machine
- Zanzibar / Fatal Contraption, an episode of the television show Rocko's Modern Life